Ever-Changing Exhibitions, Always-Free Admission
The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, in the heart of Wausau, Wisconsin, is North Central Wisconsin’s renowned cultural attraction, known for its internationally acclaimed Birds in Art exhibition each fall, diverse and ever-changing exhibitions year-round, sculpture garden, Art Park, dynamic programs for all ages and life stages, and a commitment to always-free admission that provides barrier-free access to the visual arts.
As one of only two art museums to receive a 2017 National Medal – the nation’s highest museum honor given for significant and exceptional contributions to its community, the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum received this recognition from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, a federal agency supporting the nation’s approximately 123,000 libraries and 35,000 museums, all of which are eligible for the award.
- Art of the natural world is the guiding spirit behind the paintings, works on paper, and sculpture in the Museum’s collection.
- Diverse exhibitions feature artwork from around the world and change more often than the seasons.
- Enriching programs and events for all ages enliven exhibition themes.
- Artist residencies offer opportunities for in-depth understanding of mediums and processes through public programs, demonstrations, and hands-on learning.
- Committed to always-free admission, the Museum is a valued community resource and north central Wisconsin cultural attraction.
- Groups are welcome! Learn more about a self-guided Museum visit and scheduling group and school tours. Tours can be arranged for groups of 10 or more, three weeks in advance.
Exhibitions change often as do program themes and events designed to enhance visitors’ experiences and encourage frequent visits.
The Museum is accessible; wheelchairs and strollers are available. If you have questions about specific accommodations, please call the Museum in advance at 715.845.7010 or contact us.
An array of outdoor and cultural Wausau-area attractions perfectly complement frequent Woodson Art Museum visits throughout every season.