Saturday, September 11 & Sunday, September 12, 2021
Wausau’s Artrageous Weekend, the collaborative promotion of four separate events, traditionally is held on the weekend after Labor Day.
Events in 2020 were cancelled due to coronavirus concerns.
Organizers are planning 2021 events but have not yet finalized what might be altered in 2021. Updates, when available, will be posted here.
For preliminary 2021 details, click the link to this brochure PDF; specifics may change as plans evolve.
- Art in the Park, organized by the Wisconsin Valley Art Association, brings together more than 120 exhibitors in the East Gate Hall and Exhibition Building in Marathon Park on Stewart Avenue near 17th Avenue on Wausau’s west side. Affordable art and hand-crafted items available for purchase include pottery, wearable art, paintings, photography, and more. Food and beverages are available for purchase from local non-profit groups and businesses; ATM available. Free admission. Saturday, 9am–5pm; Sunday, 9am–4pm.
- Festival of Arts, Festival of Arts, launched in 1965, is located on Third Street and the 400 Block and offers for purchase work by over 120 juried artists representing a variety of mediums. Strolling down Third Street, the festive browse-and-buy atmosphere is enhanced by live music on the 400 Block stage. Families can participate in children’s art activities in the Family Art tent and enjoy family appropriate entertainment on the Family Stage, while adults can indulge their creativity taking “Still Young at Art” classes. At the Young Collector Market and Scholarship Silent Auction, art collectors of all ages can purchase art generously donated by Festival artists with the proceeds providing scholarships for area art students. Food stands, operated by local non-profit organizations, offer a delicious assortment of food and beverages. Free admission. Saturday 10 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Center for the Visual Arts, 427 N. Fourth Street, is a 501-(c)3 not-for-profit visual arts organization working to engage people in the visual arts and add to the livability of the Wausau regional community. This is accomplished through free exhibits in four professional gallery spaces, by offering affordable art classes for children and adults through the CVA School of Art, selling original artist work in the CVA Gift Shop, bringing free family art projects to community events throughout the year, and collaborating with other local organizations and businesses to enrich the community. Free admission. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m; Sunday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Birds in Art opening weekend at the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum features extended hours. From lyrical birdsong to their migratory patterns, birds connect us to the rhythms of life. In its 46th year, this internationally renowned exhibition features work by some of the world’s most talented artists. Browse galleries to see fresh artistic takes on birds via original paintings, sculptures, and graphics created with the past three years. Since 1976, the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum has organized Birds in Art annually, seeking to present the best contemporary artistic interpretations of avian themes. Always free admission. Special opening-weekend hours: Saturday, September 11, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.; Sunday, September 12, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. “Birds in Art” is scheduled to remain on view through November 28, 2021.
For details or additional information, contact each organization:
- Art in the Park, Wisconsin Valley Art Association, firstname.lastname@example.org, wivalleyart.org
- Festival of Arts, 715-842-1676, email@example.com, wausaufoa.org
- Center for the Visual Arts, firstname.lastname@example.org, 715-842-4545, cvawausau.org
- Woodson Art Museum, email@example.com, 715-845-7010, lywam.org/birds-in-art
Access photos via links, below. Click on the following underlined captions, which are URL links to access photos from each venue; please include caption information with images used.
Festival of Arts hi-res photo: Shoppers stroll amongst booths downtown at Festival of Arts during Wausau’s Artrageous Weekend.
Center for the Visual Arts hi-res photo: Artwork in the Center for the Visual Arts galleries
Art in the Park photo: Art in the Park artist demonstration at Marathon Park during Wausau’s Artrageous Weekend
Woodson Art Museum hi-res photo: The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum