On the cusp of the summer solstice, if you’re searching online reviews for ways to savor the season, scroll no further; plan to visit the Woodson Art Museum with family and friends.
With Father’s Day just days away, there’s no need for a last-minute gift card or tool purchase with expedited shipping. Pack a picnic, linger in the sculpture garden, and explore the galleries, always admission free.
Like many dads, mine loved maps, plotted many road trips, and would’ve been intrigued by this summer’s exhibition, Handstitched Worlds: The Cartography of Quilts. Continually pursuing hands-on projects, the tinkerer in him would’ve appreciated Makers’ Mediums, featuring studio materials and artists’ tools, and Mini Makes, created by the staff’s Wee Build Workshop. Strolling through Avian Celebrations, a new exhibition from the Museum’s collection, I know he’d tell stories of birds’ antics he witnessed while fishing from his dock.
Father’s Day also reminds me of a visitor, Linda Ramthun, who invested time for shared experiences that deepened and enriched her relationship with her father-in-law. Looking at and talking about artwork in Woodson Art Museum galleries became a tradition they both so treasured that she initiated creative ways to extend the art-sparked conversations at home. Details of her tale are included in a blog post and a StoryCorps interview.
Perfect for summer road trips, the Woodson Art Museum remains #1 of TripAdvisor’s “Top Attractions in Wausau” with a five-star rating, 257 reviews, and another Travelers’ Choice award, previously called the Certificate of Excellence.
Here’s a sampling of these and other online reviews by this spring’s visitors from near and far.
• This is a wonderful art museum with many fabulous pieces of art. It is not huge, but it’s so worth the visit. Especially if you love nature paintings, sculpture, etc.
• Definitely had a very great time there. Saved a few parts for a different day. Plan on returning when the gardens are in full bloom to see the full beauty of it all!!
• Beautiful grounds. Friendly and knowledgeable docents who have a gift for storytelling. A wonderful selection of art, including Gromme, Audubon and Sherrie York.
• A great asset to the Wausau area.
“We’re just in heaven when we come here,” visitors from Three Lakes told a volunteer greeter on June 1.
Via Digital Guestbook comments, recent visitors shared what inspired them during their time here:
• Awesome art and people!
• The beauty inspired us to make beauty in our own space.
• I love the entire experience. I consider this museum to be the best we have in Wisconsin.
• Beautiful depictions of birds, light, and nature.
• Beauty of building and grounds.
• Great spaces and diverse collections.
• I thought that it was great to see the skill levels of all of the artists with the different mediums. Everything was beautiful!!! :)
• Love it.
• Peaceful relaxing.
• The architecture and work from so many artists.
• Everything is PERFECT! The building is equally as beautiful to the art inside. The staff are amazing and answered every question we had. We are blown away by this museum!
• The detail in the work.
• The showcase of artists and their inspiration/process to create.
• Inspiration for crafters and children in Makers’ Mediums.
• Unique educational exhibits.
• Everything is so well maintained.
• Wood carved and painted exhibits, absolutely fined detailed and craftsmanship, very stunning.
• Everything! We are birders from Maine. We have purchased the catalogs for years!
• Awesome layout, great atmosphere, and local pride.
Whether a traveler or local resident, you’ll find plenty of ways to savor the season, solo or with others, this summer at the Woodson Art Museum.