2021 Birds in Art Prospectus
Submissions are not yet open. Check back in early 2021 to submit your online application.
To receive 2021 prospectus updates, join the prospectus email list.
Three simple words – birds in art – took on a life of their own when they became a Woodson Art Museum exhibition title. Moving toward the exhibition’s milestone fiftieth anniversary, Birds in Art is recognized around the world as the exhibition that sets the standard for avian art.
Since 1976, Birds in Art has showcased the remarkable talents of more than 1,000 international artists, who have presented their best work interpreting birds and related subject matter.
The strength and pre-eminence of Birds in Art were soundly demonstrated in 2020, when, despite the global pandemic, the Woodson Art Museum maintained its commitment to organizing and presenting the exhibition. Artists around the world responded in kind.
The Woodson Art Museum again invites two- and three-dimensional artists working in all mediums other than crafts and photography to submit original artworks for jury consideration for Birds in Art 2021.
- No one dimension shall exceed 72 inches [183 centimeters].
- No work shall exceed 150 pounds [68 kilograms].
- All work must have been executed in 2019, 2020, or 2021.
- No work shall have been previously exhibited at the Woodson Art Museum.
- All entries must be submitted online or postmarked by April 22, 2021, and postmarked entries must be received at the Museum no later than April 27, 2021. [Overseas artists: Even air mail can take two to three weeks to reach Wisconsin. Don’t wait until the postmark deadline to send your entries since they may not arrive by April 27.]
- A maximum of two works may be entered per artist; however, artists selected for Birds in Art will be represented by only one work.
- A maximum of one digital image per two-dimensional work and two digital images per three-dimensional work may be submitted.
NOTE: All images are projected on a large screen using an LCD projector; please consider this when selecting digital images for submission.
- Each entry must be represented by digital images: 300 dpi (pixels/inch); jpeg OR tiff format; CMYK OR RGB; largest dimension must be 7 inches (pixel dimension 2100).
a.) Images can be submitted online along with completed entry form and fee OR
b.) Put on a DVD or USB flash drive and mailed to the Woodson Art Museum along with completed entry form and fee.
- Artists are encouraged to remove frames and matting for photography and to mask out any extraneous background that might impact the jurors’ ability to view the image.
- Digital files must be identified by artwork title.
- For one entry, a $55 non-refundable processing fee payable to Woodson Art Museum in U.S. Dollars drawn on a U.S. bank must accompany the entry form, OR the fee may be charged to American Express, Discover, Mastercard, or Visa. For two entries the non-refundable fee is $65. (Entries accompanied by payment made in a currency other than U.S. Dollars will not be accepted.)
- All artists submitting images for consideration can receive a complimentary Birds in Art 2021 catalogue, shipping included (approximately 134 pages; full color).
- The Woodson Art Museum is not responsible for the loss or damage of DVDs or USB flash drives.
- Your canceled check or credit card charge will be notification of the Museum’s receipt of your entry.
- All submitting artists will be notified by email of selection decisions. No selection decisions will be released over the telephone or via postal service.
- Images of artwork selected for display will be retained by the Museum.
- DVDs and USB flash drives will NOT be returned. Remember to have duplicates made for your files before sending your entry.
- The Museum reserves the right not to display any selected work that does not correspond to the quality or configuration indicated in the submitted images.
- Packing and shipping instructions will be sent with selection notification.
- Artists selected for Birds in Art will be responsible for either a $100 or $250 imaging fee. (The $100 fee covers a digital file conforming to the Museum’s specifications; the $250 fee includes photography of the artwork at the Woodson Art Museum.)
- Mounting, matting, and framing are the responsibility of the artist. In the case of sculpture, the work must be ready for display.
- Artists are responsible for all packing and crating costs.
- Based on jury review, approximately 100 artists will be invited to participate in Birds in Art 2021.
- Each exhibiting artist receives four complimentary Birds in Art 2021 catalogues.
- All costs associated with wall-to-wall fine arts insurance.
- Inbound and outbound shipping of artwork to and from the Museum.
- The Museum coordinates the Birds in Art tour after the exhibition closes in Wausau. Artists are encouraged to make their artworks available for the tour; however, it is not mandatory. Notification of an artist’s inclusion in the tour occurs in mid-September.
- The Museum generally acquires ten to twelve artworks from Birds in Art each year.
- April 22
- Online and postmarked submission deadline for images, entry form, and processing fee
- May 7
- On or about; Email notifications to artists
- June 7
- Deadline for receipt of:
- Loan Agreement, Loan Inventory, and Biographical Forms
- Imaging fee
- Digital image OR original artwork to be photographed at the Museum
- July 12
- Deadline for Receipt of opening weekend
- July 16
- Deadline for receipt of remaining artwork
- September 10
- Preview reception and dinner for exhibiting artists
- September 11
- Public opening and program
- November 28
- Exhibition closes at the Woodson Art Museum
- December 17
- Complete return of artwork not included in tour
- October 14
- Complete return of artwork included in tour
Direct correspondence to
Birds in Art
Woodson Art Museum
700 North Twelfth Street
Wausau, Wisconsin 54403-5007 U.S.A.
Direct other inquiries to