WAUSAU, WISCONSIN: Just in time for holiday gift-giving, the Woodson Art Museum is offering a six-day trip to Seattle and Tacoma, Washington, to explore museums and cultural attractions in the Pacific Northwest, Monday through Saturday, April 15-20. Itinerary highlights include tours of Chihuly Garden and Glass @ Seattle Center, three Seattle art museums, the Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, Olympic Sculpture Park, galleries and markets, the Space Needle, and studio visits with two “Birds in Art” artists. The trip also features a day in Tacoma, visiting the Tacoma Art Museum, Museum of Glass, and Chihuly Bridge of Glass.
The Seattle-Pacific Northwest trip, planned and accompanied by the Museum’s director Kathy Foley and a Seattle-based guide, features:
- Contemporary glass at its best and most expressive, including Chihuly Garden and Glass @ Seattle Center, showcasing Dale Chihuly’s most popular series works and architectural installations that illustrate the wide-ranging breadth and scope of his career.
- A day in Tacoma, including the Tacoma Art Museum, Museum of Glass, the 500-foot pedestrian Chihuly Bridge of Glass, and lunch at the Hotel Murano.
- Seattle Art Museum, where “Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Gainsborough: The Treasures of Kenwood House, London” will be on view along with Old Master paintings from Seattle private collections.
- Frye Art Museum, presenting an exhibition tracing the fascinating life and artistic accomplishments of émigré Russian-American painter Nicolai Fechin (1881-1955).
- Pioneer Square galleries, Pike Place Market overlooking Seattle’s Elliott Bay waterfront, and the Space Needle.
- Studio visits with Woodson Art Museum artist friends: sculptor Tony Angell and colored pencil/ watercolorist Sueellen Ross.
- Olympic Sculpture Park, home to an array of fabulous sculptures by Richard Serra, Alexander Calder, Mark di Suvero, Claes Oldenburg, Beverly Pepper, Louise Nevelson, and Roxy Paine.
The trip price of $3,090 for Museum members (per person, double occupancy) or $3,240 for non-members (per person, double occupancy) includes private van/coach service to and from the Minneapolis Airport (departing from/returning to the Woodson Art Museum), round-trip air transportation from Minneapolis to Seattle, including one checked bag each way; accommodations for five nights at the Hotel Monaco; five breakfasts, six lunches, and four dinners; all admissions and guides throughout as well as all gratuities; and deluxe motor coach within Seattle, Tacoma, and environs. Single-occupancy adds $595 to the costs. An optional Seattle Symphony evening, including dinner at Wild Ginger, is an additional $125 per person. Those who prefer to make individual travel arrangements deduct $575 from the stated costs. A $500 deposit is required to reserve a place; the balance is due by March 15, 2013. Call the Museum at 715-845-7010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information or to reserve a spot.
Woodson Art Museum
Hours: Tuesday – Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
First Thursday of each month 9:00 am – 7:30 pm
Saturday – Sunday Noon – 5:00 pm
Closed Monday and holidays, including Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Admission: Always Free Admission
Location: Franklin and 12th Streets, Wausau, Wisconsin 54403-5007
(700 N. 12th Street)